Veterinary Assistants help the Veterinarians and Veterinary Technicians with treating injuries and illnesses of animals, as well as provide the animals hands-on support and care.
In as little as 2 months you will be prepared to sit for the American Allied Health National Certification Exam for Veterinary Assistants.
- Must be at least 16 years old.
Note: Some businesses may not hire individuals under 18 years old and without a High School Diploma/GED equivalency.
What Will I Learn?
In Petra’s 72-hour Veterinary Assistant course (48 hours of classroom/lab time and 24 hours of externship) you will learn things such as:
- Basic animal anatomy
- Proper handling and restraint of animals
- Assist Veterinarians with physical examinations of animals
- Bandage and dress wounds
- Transport, handle, and process specimens
- Basic surgical preparation techniques
|Non-Refundable (transferable one time), Registration Fee||$50.00|
|Textbook (may be purchased at the school)||$50.00|
|AAH National Certification||$110.00|
- Feed, bathe, and exercise animals
- Clean and disinfect cages, kennels, and examination and operating rooms
- Restrain animals during examination and laboratory procedures
- Maintain and sterilize surgical instruments and equipment
- Monitor and care for animals after surgery
- Help provide emergency first aid to sick and injured animals
- Give medication or immunizations that veterinarians prescribe
- Assist in the collection of blood, urine, and tissue samples
- Clerical duties, such as: scheduling appointments, work as a liaison with pet owners, and help maintain a clean, healthy waiting area and examination environment.
Employment of veterinary assistants and laboratory animal caretakers is projected to grow 9 percent from 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations. In addition to fast employment growth, high occupational turnover should result in very good job opportunities*
* ” Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 17 Dec. 2015. Web. 30 June 2016.